Photo in the CV
Smile! Cheese! Watch the birdie… click! Is all this necessary? If yes, how? Where? This is also a subject which splits opinion and is the cause of much debate among job applicants. You don’t by all means need to send a photo to us; nothing depends on it. We nevertheless use a photo for identification purposes and ease of remembering you.
The importance of the photo is that it gives a CV a person, a face, a soul, and a personality. Some draw far-reaching conclusions from the photo. Let’s be honest, everyone would. The question is whether the imagined personality is a likeness to the idea portrayed in the picture.
- It isn’t compulsory to send a photo, but it’s a good idea as you can show something of your personality.
- If it is specifically requested, then by all means send one, otherwise it looks as if you aren’t dutiful.
- If possible, try and have a professional take the photo. By this we mean someone who also has a sense for impossible faces too 😉
- An ID photo can act as a neutral solution.
- Photos other than the ID are a delicate matter. For some, a picture of them being on the phone, at a computer, leaning against a car or running down the street, can work, for some they don’t. We rather think not 😉 In other words, you really must get it right. If you don’t want to risk it, stick to an ID photograph.
- 6. You should be wearing suitable clothes in the photo. A suit, if you like getting suited up, or business-casual that you would wear to work in an office environment. If on the other hand, you never wear a shirt and tie, then don’t, in an introductory photo either. Don’t mislead people.
- For women, don’t send a full-figure, certainly not a full-figure in bikini photo. Not even for assistant positions. Really! Don’t!*, **
- If you are male, don’t, ever. Yuck! ***
Points 7 and 8 are brought to your attention because they actually have happened to us. 😀
* ‘There are over three billion women in the world who don’t have a super-model figure. There are only eight that do.’ – Anita Roddick, Founder, The Bodyshop Co.
** Except, of course, if the advert is for a photo model or presenter.
*** Of course, if you have a six-pack or are a member of the national men’s water polo team, our female staff members will happily receive such photos, but in this instance you don’t need to attach a CV. 😉