Google – Product Manager
How much is it in net?
An annual performance-based bonus of 15-20%, share package and a range of employee care benefits.
This job description is being continuously updated as we learn more ourselves about this whole project.
Our client is Google, which does not need to be introduced as it is already your friend. 🙂 OK, perhaps you know what they generally do (apart from the search engine of course) as you may use several of their solutions as a private person. You may also know that Google has already an operation in Hungary but this is now to be quite significantly expanded.
A new line of business is coming to Budapest, which will be part of the Cloud AI and Industry Solutions division and will focus on Retail. We are now looking for the first members of this team, based on which the entire operation will be built up. The initial task of this team will be to build the framework of this product line, creating visions and roadmaps. The aim is to build cloud-based solutions for the retail partners using AI and machine learning tools and components. You can find out more about this here.
In order to make this work the team will need to learn a lot about the clients’ workflows and operations and come up with intelligent solutions using the collected vast amount of data. The individual solutions will be productized and customizable and will be part of Google’s AI offerings. You can learn more about some of the components that are already in place here.
The main task of the product managers is to put together the ideas, product visions, messages and go-to-market roadmaps, and in the second phase to see these through to implementation, coordinating and helping all the teams that are involved in the delivery.
Why is this beneficial for you and the world?
This is the area which has the most potential to make the world a better place. Just think about the amount of wasted food that is accumulating around the world. Super-large retail companies are very good at predicting their sales – as this is such an incredibly old industry – but they are not good enough. They know approximately how much vanilla yoghurt is going to be consumed but not with the precision that is possible to achieve with AI. Less waste: less energy and materials consumed! Or think about optimized supply chains lowering costs and lowering fuel consumption!
You can personally have an enormous impact in the lives of millions of people around the world. Really. Just add the number of customers of the huge retail stores – and these are huge numbers. In this position you can directly affect the way the world is moving to.
As this is a new business unit, a new team working on new products, as a senior expert you will take part in strategy formulation. No code has been written so far. Not only the “How?” questions should be answered, but in many aspects the “What?” questions, too. It all smells like greenfield!!!
As a company, Google is able to provide you with a wide range of resources to implement your product visions, from professional support in every possible knowledge area to computing environments, tools and so on.
The company is supporting your professional development in many different ways, with trainings, knowledge sharing groups and so on.
Tasks in a little more detail
- Investigate broader market opportunity and top areas of focus.
- Understand major personas in the market area and the key Critical User Journeys (CUJs) that need to be managed.
- Define a roadmap for how to economize on available resources.
- Partner with adjacent Cloud AI Platform teams.
- Lead the go-to-market strategy formulation and consequently the product launch.
- Co-operate with clients and guide engineering teams to create POC’s which can be introduced to clients.
- Work cross-functionally to guide products from conception to launch by connecting the technical and the business world.
Key criteria to fill the role
- At least 10 years of work experience and within it experience creating product roadmaps from conception to launch, driving the product vision, defining go-to-market strategy, and leading design discussions.
- You speak fluent English.
- You are comfortable in a very large organization and it causes you no problem that members of your team are anywhere in the world.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience building and shipping technical products.
- Experience with Cloud platforms and technologies.
There are several rounds of interviews, some of them in batch (you will meet different people one after the other). We are going to assist you with lots of preparation materials Google has provided us.
This is a full time position (40 hours per week) and only employee status is permitted. Part-time work is possible only in very special cases, for example if you are giving lectures at a University a few hours a week then that’s OK.
Place of work
Due to Covid, all employees work from home currently, however in this position you are allowed to work remotely on the long run, as long as you live in Europe. (In any European country except for Belarus and Crimea.) Please note that most of the interactions will occur with teams in New York, US West Coast and Budapest, Hungary.
If you are unsure or you have questions, do not hesitate to contact us.